DipSM, Grad IOSH, CMaPS
John has had a varied career across a number of industries including farm management and food production, steel fabrication and erection, the construction industry and electrical-mechanical installation and servicing.
John worked as an electrical engineer in a fully automated storage warehouse for Sainsbury. Having first-hand experience of working in a well-managed health & safety environment, which interacted with fast moving machinery, and processes.
John has been involved with health and safety at all levels throughout his career, from man management and health & safety on a busy dairy unit producing farm house cheese, to implementing a health & safety management system for a service company, which had two offices in the UK and sent engineers to all areas of Europe, the USA and Israel.
John was involved with implementing and maintaining an ISO 9001:2000 quality control system for a rapid prototyping company. This also involved quality controls for Ford Motor Company in the UK and Germany. John is an experienced auditor of management systems, skills which lend themselves to health & safety management, which help the client to review their systems in place and recommend improvements.
John has acted as supporting consultant to Mark on a wide selection of main projects, under the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations (CDM), for which Mark has been appointed CDM Coordinator. These include demolition of a huge Pyrex factory in Sunderland, the regeneration of a 1000acre BP site in South Wales and large civil engineering and infrastructure projects around Stoke.
John took on the role of CDM Coordinator for the St Modwen Developments Limited ‘Flag Ship’ project Swansea University (phases 1A and 1B). John worked alongside industry leaders Vinci Construction (UK) Ltd and Galliford Try Ltd. During this time John and Mark developed a CDM Strategy, for all construction projects. This covered a project from the initial design phase to handover to the end user, and was based on how Safety For Design Ltd envisioned the proposed changes in the CDM Regulations would take in 2015.
When the CDM regulations changed in 2015, Safety For Design Ltd had a working strategy that enabled them to smoothly take on the Principal Designer Role. John was appointed the pre-tender Principal Designer on the Swansea University Phase 1C project, by the Client St Modwen Developments Ltd. Following the work Safety For Design Ltd undertook on the previous phases, Vinci Construction (UK) Ltd appointed John as the Construction Principal Designer for this phase of works. This was instead of using their own in house Principal Designer.
In 2014 John was appointed Director within Safety For Design Ltd, where he oversees all departments with the business, and develops new customers, for a rapidly expanding company. This includes a very exciting new working relationship with Thales Group.
Benefits to the Client;
- An experienced Principal Designer, with good knowledge of design hazards and mitigation controls;
- Excellent communicator and co-ordinator at all levels;
- A very good knowledge of health and safety in a wide range of industries;
- Experience gained from working on construction and building projects, manufacturing and servicing;
- Experience of working with different types of Client;
- A comprehensive knowledge and experience in demolition and remediation projects.
Relevant Courses, training and qualifications;
- Level 5 NVQ Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety Practice;
- Graduate Membership of Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH);
- Association for Project Safety CDM2015 Design Risk Management course and exam;
- Acceptance as Registered Member (Principal Designer) of the Association for Project Safety;
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) Principal Designer course and exam;
- NEBOSH National Construction Certificate, (Distinction);
- NEBOSH National Fire Certificate, (Distinction);
- NEBOSH National General Certificate, (Distinction);
- Construction Site Managers Safety Training Scheme course and certificate;
- P402 Certificate in the surveying and sampling of buildings for asbestos;
- Emergency First Aid at Work.
- PASMA Competent/Trained;
- Construction Skills Health and Safety Test – Professionally Qualified Person;
- Undertaken various CPD training sessions with The Association for Project Safety (APS);
- Undertaken training courses in safety in the use of abrasive wheels and Portable Appliance Testing;
Contact John – email@example.com